yield: 18 COOKIE SANDWICHES
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 6 MINUTES
total time: 21 MINUTES
These easy Homemade Oreos are made completely from scratch. Soft, fudgy (brownie-like) chocolate cookies are stuffed with a simple, vanilla cream filling.
4.5 Stars (75 Reviews)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (stir, spoon & level)
- 1/2 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp milk
Vanilla Cream Filling:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut oil/shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cookie trays with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugars. Add the egg, vanilla, and milk. Mix completely. Scrape bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix completely. Dough will be thick.
- Scoop about 1 Tbsp of cookie dough (the size of a quarter), round dough into a ball, and place it onto the prepared cookie sheets a few inches apart. (12 cookies per half sheet tray. You should get close to 36 cookies to make 18 sandwich cookies.)
- Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press the cookie dough balls half way down. (Grease the bottom of the cup with cooking spray if needed, to help with sticking.)
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 6-7 minutes, until just baked through, for a soft, fudgy cookie. Let cookies rest for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make filling, beat the butter and coconut oil/shortening until smooth in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Mix until smooth.
- Place the filling in a zip-top plastic bag and cut off the corner. Pipe filling onto the bottom of a cookie. Top with the bottom of another cookie. Repeat until all cookies are paired together and filled. Store leftover cookies in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap